Maker Fellow STEM Instructor in NYC
We are hiring STEM instructors and interns for ages 5-14 this semester and for this summer. Do you have experience with kids, high English language fluency, and interests/expertise in tech-arts? Then join our team of Maker Fellows who are inspiring the next generation of innovators afterschool and/or in summer camp. Through hands-on “Challenge” projects, we teach Scratch video game design, Minecraft, TinkerCAD and other kid-tech-arts.
We are currently looking for candidates for the following positions.
Afterschool STEM Instructor: Be an instructor one or more afternoons a week this semester or next, Mon-Fri, 2:30pm-4:30pm approx. (sessions average 90 minutes, 1 to 5 days per week equalling 2-20+ hours per week). Pay for lead instructors averages $40/session. Pay for assistant instructors averages $20/session.
STEM Summer Camp Instructor: Be a full time camp instructor during our nine week July-August STEM Summer Camp in NYC. Weekly pay averages range from $400-$500 (for assistant instructors) and $500-$800/week (for lead instructors or site directors).
What you need to know
Our Maker Fellows are part-time after-school instructors or full time STEM Summer Camp instructors. The Maker Fellow is the primary instructor for young engineers ages 5-14. Fellows have four primary responsibilities:
Provide a safe and educative learning space for the engineers, students.
Guide kids through MakerState’s “Challenge” project curriculum and independently manage the makerspace program in their assigned school/camp.
Create new Challenge project (12 per semester) in a tech-arts field in which they are passionate/skilled.
Act as ambassadors in their community, representing the Maker Fellowship and help find new Fellows.
Fellows are responsible for running their program at their school/camp site. The Fellowship commitment is usually for one semester (Fall, Spring, or Summer) but Fellows are encouraged to serve longer terms if they wish, and many do. Fellows are usually undergrads (primary instructor) or high school students (assistant instructor) but can be from any field of study or occupation. Fellows are usually recent graduates, undergraduates, or high school students but can be from any field of study or occupation.
- Experience managing and teaching kids ages 5-14
- Expertise/passion in a STEM/STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, math) field (see Preferred Experience below)
- English language proficiency required
Preferred Experience in one or more of the following
- Minecraft: Redstone builders needed!
- Scratch or other computer programming languages/tools/apps for kids
- LEGO Mindstorms EV3 robotics system
- Tinkercad (or other 3D design apps like SketchUp, Autodesk, Blender, Maya)
- 3D printing
- A plus if you know one or more of the following:
- Kid-friendly tech like MaKey MaKey, littleBits, Snap Circuits
- Game design: analog & video games
- Stop-motion movie making & editing: iMovie, Moviemaker, Final Cut, etc.
- Microcontrollers: Arduino, LilyPad, Flora, Raspberry Pi
- Space Engineers, Game Salad, Gamestar Mechanic, Stencyl
- Crafting, designing, building, hacking, and making in general
IMPORTANT: If you are selected as a Maker Fellow instructor, you will have to learn Minecraft, Scratch, and/or TinkerCAD and pass a performance test in these STEM/STEAM-learning, kid technologies. Also, it is important that you are prepared to “own” your kid makerspace and manage it for the successful learning of your students.
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.