Looking for enthusiastic, experienced, and responsible after school instructors in hands-on STEM crafts (paper rockets, cardboard derby cars, magnet slime, etc), Lego robotics, Scratch coding, Tinkercad 3D design and printing, and Minecraft for elementary students at diverse schools around NYC.
Your hours are based upon our contracted after-school programs in different boroughs of New York and generally occur between 2:30-6pm on one or more days, Monday through Friday. This position can renew each semester, pending performance and renewing school contracts.
- In-Person Instructor: $15-$35/hour
Three Primary Responsibilities of Job:
- Afterschool instructor for students ages 5-14 leading hands-on projects in material engineering, Scratch coding, robotics, Minecraft, Tinkercad, etc. at one or more schools in different boroughs of New York most likely, one or more days per week, Monday through Friday, from approximately 2:30pm to 5:30pm. If you are experienced, have the availability, and are among the first few instructors hired, we can often schedule you for four or five days a week.
- Research/Create project lessons for materials engineering and computer science projects and record videos that explain how to build each project.
- Liaison with school, site directors, parents and others to ensure your program is a success and stay in close communication with all.
Preferred but not required: By the start of the next semester, with MakerState’s curriculum and materials support, begin volunteering with MakerState Labs to bring STEM/coding learning to a group of students, or even just one student, with demonstrated financial need. This could be once a week or even once a month, working through your university’s volunteering/community program, a faith-based organization, or your local community center. You’d be encouraged to continue with MakerState as a paid after school instructor as well.
- Experience managing and teaching children ages 5-14
- Expertise/passion in a STEM/STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, math) field (see Preferred Experience below)
- Verbal and written English language proficiency required
- Ability to maintain consistent and professional communications and record-keeping via phone, email, and Google Drive
- Ability to communicate professionally with the AfterSchool Director and parents
- Ability to travel throughout NYC for work and be on time every day
- Ability to commit to the entire semester of work
- Improvise and supplement additional projects/curriculum as necessary
- IMPORTANT: You will be required to be fingerprinted and background-checked and attend training prior to teaching, in most cases. Your background check will be paid for.
Preferred Experience in one or more of the following:
- Scratch, and/or other computer programming languages/tools/apps for kids
- Tinkercad (or other 3D design apps like SketchUp, Autodesk, Blender, Maya)
- Minecraft for creativity and education
- LEGO Mindstorms EV3 and WeDo robotics systems, and mBot/mBlock
- Kid-friendly tech like MaKey MaKey, littleBits, Snap Circuits
- 3D printing
- Game design: analog & video games
- Stop-motion movie making & editing: iMovie, Moviemaker, Final Cut, etc.
- Microcontrollers: Arduino, LilyPad, Flora, Raspberry Pi
- Space Engineers, Game Salad, Gamestar Mechanic, Stencyl
- Crafting, designing, building, hacking, and making in general
- Ability to write new lesson plans in a tech-arts field in which you are passionate/skilled is a big plus
- Instructors with NYSED licensure on any grade level and a passion for makerspace and digital arts/media are preferred but not necessary
If you wish to proceed with your application, please answer the questions on the Google form link below: